Sunday, May 30, 2010

Back From A Much Needed Break

It's finally here: the Stanley Cup Finals. And this series is betweent the Philadelphia Flyers and the Chicago Blackhawks. As some may have noticed, I have not been active on this blog since the end of April. The reason being is that I needed a break from hockey, since my last hope for the playoffs, the Pittsburgh Penguins, were eliminated in Game 7 in the series against the Montreal Canadiens. The 8th seed team, who had also eliminated the 1st seed Washington Capitals in the first round of the Playoffs, buried puck after puck past the Penguins' Marc-Andre Fleury, sealing the win.

Being a die-hard Flames and Pens fan, I became bitter about my luck this season. And so, I felt that by closing my eyes and plugging my ears to any hockey talk, I could slowly but surely recover from the sting of elimination.

But now, a month later, I am ready to return to the ice. Mainly because of the wonderful news Gary Bettman has delivered this past week.

Next season, Canada gets its very own Winter Classic, pitting the Calgary Flames against the Montreal Canadiens. And even better news: it will be played right here in Calgary, at the McMahon Stadium football field.
The USA's Winter Classic has the NHL's two biggest stars playing against each other on New Year's Day. Alexander Ovechkin and his Capitals will be travelling to Pittsburgh to do battle with Sidney Crosby and the Penguins.

The next season is already looking 10 times better than this one has been. Surely, the sting of being eliminated in the second round of the Playoffs will still be fresh with Crosby, and no doubt he will explode onto the ice with a bang come October.
And for the Calgary Flames, not making it into the Playoffs for the first time in 5 years is more than enough motivation to pick up their game.

I'm considerably cheered up as I look ahead to the next season of hockey to come. Are you?



No comments:

Post a Comment